Monday, March 20, 2017

Using Google Forms to track behavior

Since everything is better in a Google app, I decided to track behavior this year in a Google Form. Mine looks like this:



Here’s why I’m loving it:
  • It’s really quick and easy to log. When a student misbehaves, I can fill this form out in less than two minutes.
  • It’s cathartic: instead of dwelling on the incident, once I’ve logged it, I can move forward, but I have a record to access when I need it.
  • But it gets even better, the simple analytics that Google provides in the Responses helps me to reflect on my practices.
    • When is misbehavior happening?

  • What kind of misbehaviors are occurring?

*Sidenote: this data is skewed because some of my choices on my form disappeared for no apparent reason and had to be re-added…

  • What am I doing to respond to misbehaviors and is my response making a positive difference?

  • It’s also been helpful in team meetings to be able to bring up students I have concerns about because I have all the information in one organized place. Go to the Sheets in Responses and reorder alphabetically: now if a student has multiple entries, they are grouped together.

And of course I have this form saved in an easily accessible place on my bookmark bar: It’s the form represented by “B” for behavior. :


@gttribe #gsuite #GAFE

3 comments:

  1. Jennie,
    I love this form. I also love Google Forms. I want to case this and create one for younger learners. I teach 1st grade in North Austin at Davis Elementary. Thanks so much for sharing!
    Susie Nordyke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susie!

      With all the newer teachings about Restorative Practices, I've added even more options for actions: (excuse the repeats)
      Observation
      Conversation
      Think Sheet
      Positive Reinforcement
      Change seats
      Check cumulative folder in counseling office
      Find out input from other teachers (ie. previous school year, other teachers not on team, etc)
      Discussed at team meeting
      Lunch Meeting (not punitive)
      Teacher interview student with interest survey
      Student interview teacher with interest survey
      Refer to Behavior Instructional Coach
      Contact parent

      Delete
    2. As a previous SPED teacher, the interest survey option is so important.Thanks for sparking my memory on this item.
      Susie

      Delete