Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Choosing a writer’s notebook for the new school year


Ever since I started teaching Language Arts, I have always had my students use a notebook. It’s looked different each year though. Some years it was a spiral, sometimes a specific spiral (Five-Star, 8.5 x 11), sometimes a composition notebook. One thing has remained the same though: I have always dictated a specific notebook that all students are required to use. In the spirit of change, I have decided that this year will be different: this year I will fully embrace students individually selecting their writer’s notebook.

I’m rereading parts of Randy Bomer’s Building Adolescent Literacy in Today’s English Classrooms.

“Other teachers bring in an array of notebooks -- composition notebooks, sketch books, hardcover journals, and whatever else they can find -- with small and large paper, colored and white, fat and narrow lines --and ask students to handle the different types of notebooks and talk with a partner about which would best suit them each as writers” (Bomer 170).

This year I will be one of the “other teachers!” Here’s what I have so far to show my students. P.S. These are actually the notebooks I’m considering using this school year personally.
IMG_20170801_230911.jpg

  1. Composition Notebook
Technically this is the type of notebook that students will see requested on our school supply list. It’s a nice basic. It’s comforting. It’s a nice size: not too big, not too small.

  1. “Assignment Notebook”
I love the smaller size of this notebook as well as the “date box” in the top right-hand corner of each page , and the built in pocket. I can see this appealing to many of my students. The portability is also a plus.

  1. Graph Notebook
I LOVE graph paper, and when I can get it in a spiral notebook, it’s even better. I like to create tables and charts, and the light blue lines help me out.

I also have my tabs which I find really helpful for subdividing notebooks that only have one section.

In the past, I have dictated the kind of notebook students have used for a variety of reasons.
  1. I’m a control freak when it comes to my classroom - I’m trying to relax my grip.
  2. The physical notebook had always been THE place where we do everything for ELA. Now that Google Classroom and Drive are also a part of my pedagogy, I feel less of a need to control the physical notebook.
  3. I thought I had to dictate the type of notebook for accountability purposes. How could I assign an amount of writing to students who were all writing in different size notebooks?

Randy Bomer writes, “Some students need something small, that would fit into a pocket, and finding that will make the whole difference in whether or not they ever carry it around” (170). This single sentence has been the biggest reason historically that I have dictated the kind of notebook, but I’ve decided to embrace this. So what if a student chooses to use a memo pad? If they genuinely use it, then we’ve already won!

#NotebookInquiry #YearOfChange @rbomer @HeartofTXWP

No comments:

Post a Comment